diy modern and very cool cooler

July 16, 2014

diy

diy modern and very cool cooler  | almost makes perfect

well, just like last year, and the year before that — we’re throwing ourselves a little birthday picnic for our shared birthday week. so of course i have to make a thing or two. (last year i made the picnic blanket)

we decided a drugstore cooler is something in desperate need of a makeover – so cher and i got together, i mean gideon and i got together to do that. (that’s a really dumb clueless joke. i think you know that.)

diy modern and very cool cooler

materials

modern cool cooler

01 | unless you get a white cooler, you’ll want to spray paint away the bright blue. do plenty of coats until you’re happy with the color.

02 | once it’s the color you want, spray it with like half of a dozen light coats of fixative. like until you feel like you’ve gone insane.

03 | cut a template out of the contact paper for the top, gently fold corners and secure all edges with super glue. do a couple thin layers of mod podge over the entire surface.

04 | spray your top with a ton of shellac too. we wanna protect this thing right?!

05 | once your handle is spray painted and fixed (unless it came in white you lucky sob), you can tie a canvas rope around to make it extra pretty and handle-y. i wanted to do some sort of fancy braiding, but i also didn’t know how. so we tied it around and secured the edges with super glue. clamp the end after gluing for 20 minutes to get it nice and tight. then wrap it as tightly as you can all the way down the other side, and glue and clamp again. the edges are pretty hidden on ours since they’re on the bottom.

diy modern and very cool cooler

disclaimer : i don’t really know how long it will hold up for, but i can let you guys know if you wanna know. because the top is contact paper, it might not be the most waterproof thing in the world, but i just don’t recommend sitting drinks on top of it is all. if you use your cooler like a normal person and not a wild animal, you should be a-okay!

diy modern and very cool cooler  | almost makes perfect diy modern and cool cooler diy modern and very cool cooler diy modern and very cool cooler | almost makes perfect

that’s the first time i’ve shown my crazy knee on the blog. i ran a moped into a car on my birthday 10 years ago and still have that gnarly scar. but enough about me – go have a picnic!

72 comments on “diy modern and very cool cooler

1. molly Post author

haha! chic magazine styling?! and to think i was just eating some chips and brought them with me! THANK YOU

1. Pingback: Links I Love Wednesday | Daniele Uses Words

2. Jessica

What would be an excellent addition would be if the lid was wood and you could use it as a cutting board while on your picnic :)

3. holly

that looks great! did you get the contact paper in ‘pine?’ it looks so much better on your cooler if that’s the woodgrain you chose.
    keep up the awesome diy’s!

love holly

1. molly Post author

thank you holly! i actually couldn’t find the original contact paper i bought a year ago that i used, but i just did and i updated the link!

4. Brittni

I love this Molly! The project and the photos are great. And I wanted to ask where you got your picnic blanket/rug from, if you don’t mind sharing? I’ve literally been looking for that exact same one, in a different color, since I saw them being used at a conference picnic last year. I can’t find them anywhere.

1. molly Post author

thanks brittni! i bought all mine (i have a quite a few) on olvera street in la, every shop there sells them for about $20 bucks. i have seen them really overpriced online, so make sure you pay around $20! they’re called thunderbird mexican blankets.

5. Jordan

Very cute idea!! Just a couple questions; is fixative, shellac, and spray acrylic coating the same thing? Just a little confused. Do you feel like the modge podge was necessary on the contact paper in addition to the spray? Cant wait to try it, thanks!

1. molly Post author

thanks jordan! ok i said all three in the post, didn’t i. that’s because i had all three so i tried them all haha, but i believe they’re all the same thing more or less. our shellac had kind of a yellow tint to it, so i say go with the fixative vs shellac if the cans are listed differently.

and as for the mod podge : i’m not really sure, i wanted it to be really stuck onto the cooler because i was afraid of it peeling, so i just felt like the more protection, the better. good luck! x

6. Mlle Eugé

Whoa awesome !
    When i first saw the picture on Pinterest i thought, “oh yeah, there’s a brand cool and smart enough to design a classy cooler + with a wooden bread/anything else cutting board on top of it ! That’s very clever for picnics !” Well played ! The look is really awesome, so now i need that classy kind of cooler with a real wood panel on top ! ( that might be kind of heavy though…)
    This DIY is super kewl, thanks Molly !
    xo from Paris
    Mlle Eugé | a designer’s blog

7. sarah nadine

i’m pretty much obsessed with this idea now! i’m on the hunt for a used cooler now (or a cheaper smaller one). unless, i just did this to my bigger ones?! ha! thanks for sharing the genius idea.

xo

8. Pingback: BAZAR LXVII – Galletaslombardero | cookies on time

9. Pingback: Birch + Bird Vintage Home Interiors » Blog Archive » Five for Friday: Great DIY’s, Renos + Cozy Spaces

10. Pingback: Sarah Hearts - Links to Love

11. Pingback: Make it Friday: Stripes and Scallops Jade and Fern

12. Pingback: things that caught my eye/ twenty | guy and his girl

13. Laurie

This is the best. What a great wedding gift. So sleek and stylish.

And I love your scar. It shows you are human. XOXOX

14. Pingback: Alyssa and Carla

15. Nicole

Love the idea, but love your wonky knee picture even more! Scars tell our story, glad you shared yours! :)

16. Pingback: The Weekend | Tangerine Canteen

17. Terry

Excellent idea! If you use spray paint for plastic, you don’t have to seal it with fixative, thoguh it will still help. Wipe down the outside of the cooler with a tack rag or cloth with some alcohol to remove grease and prep the surface for the paint.
    If you can’t find plastic paint in your hardware store, go next door to the craft store and buy model paint.

18. Pingback: En uppdaterad kylväska | DIY or DIE

19. Pingback: ¡Feliz fin de semana! {DIY kit playero} | amiaire {detrás del olivo}

20. Pingback: this abundant list | this abundant life

21. Pingback: Squirrelly Minds » The Friday Five – Summer DIY’s

22. gemma

This is a really cool project, I recently updated my camera with some wood print too. I love the possibility’s that this stuff has. I guess (almost) everything is a little prettier with some wood print and some white :) *click my name for the link to my post about the camera*

23. Carla

Hi Molly!
    I really like the idea!!! And your Blog, is stylish and pretty cool.
    Congratulations!

I’m also designer, and just one month ago I started to write a blog with things around my life. For the moment I only write in Spanish, but I’m thinking in start to write in English too (my english is a little bit bad, but I need to improve it XD).

Thanks for being an inspiration!

Carla

24. Laressa

Super cute! reminds me of the coolers sorority girls paint for frat guys in the south. If you’ve never seen them google it . Some are amazing!

25. Pingback: Augenpralinen – kreativ und individuell Wohnen und Einrichten Schicke Kühlbox selbst gemacht - Augenpralinen - kreativ und individuell Wohnen und Einrichten

26. George Patterson

What an amazing idea! It would work on all kinds of coolers too. For a picnic blanket, it’s so nice to go to any fabric store and just ask them for a couple yards of whatever fabric is on sale that day that looks nice. It can go toward book covers and tons more after it’s used to sit on too!

27. Pingback: Fernaly - 6 DIY's To Try