can you tell i’m not sick of hexagons yet?! also not sick of this white faux leather i have. ok i’m lying. i’m so so sick of it, but i accidentally bought a ton more than i thought i did (this is what happens when i buy supplies online) so i’m trying to use it all up. remember when i used it here? oh and how about here?
rachel of the crafted life has been “barely” spray painting glass to create this gorgeous ombre effect, so inspired by her – i half spray painted these!
leather or faux leather
printable template for stenciling
spray paint in the color of your choice
01. print out your hexagon. if you know what size you want and use photoshop, make yourself a template. if you want to use mine, click below to download. (these measure about 4″) cut it out.
02. if you have faux leather like mine, the back might have a soft backside which is easily draw-on-able. if you’re using real leather or a leather without a backing, decide which side is prettier and trace on the other one around your hexagons.
03. over a cutting surface, using your rotary cutter and a ruler, cut out your hexagons.
04. once you have them all cut, take them outside and place on a piece of cardboard. spray paint them by spray painting your cardboard surface and slowly work your way from side to side to cover some of your coaster. in retrospect, i may have liked them with less spray paint than these have. try the less is more approach, and add more after taking a step back. let dry.
i ALWAYS want new stuff for the house, i don’t think there will ever be a point in my life where i wouldn’t be totally willing to purge everything and have a shopping spree at west elm. but right now with the wedding looming, it seems wrong to buy anything new for the apartment. but i want to so badly. here’s everything that i think about pretty regularly.
01. as comfortable as our office chairs are, i really hate that they’re black for the most part. it was my bad. the office would look so much cleaner with white shell chairs (or these if i’m feeling nice to our butts). and when i say cleaner, i mean cleaner because there is crap everywhere.
02. i reeeally want a new rug for the bedroom. right now we have a cowhide that doesn’t reach our feet, i’d love for the room to feel a little warmer with a big chunky simple rug.
03. i’ve been saying we need lamps/sconces for a while now. still haven’t done it. and every time these onefortythree sconces come back in stock, i debate it until they sell back out. maybe i need to just DIY, right?
04. we have a docksta table, which i am ok with, but it barely fits four peoples plates. i’d love a big dining table for sprawling out my craft projects – because honestly that’s all i use the dining table for.
05. i’ve always wanted a butterfly chair, and i’ve never gotten a butterfly chair. not sure why. just one of those things.
06. you’ve seen our shelving unit, but you don’t know that it’s a pretty big eye sore at this point. i mean, i still like it, but i do kinda miss the bare walls. we want to move after the wedding, so it’s not worth taking down probably, although i mean, we’ll have to take it down at some point anyway, right? would be so nice to just see a simple cabinet with the tv at this point.
friday came fast for me this week, yesterday after our couples therapy (yep, we’re trying to be smart about getting married and going to couples therapy weekly) we were rear ended super hard while stopped at a light. so we’re taking it easy today to make sure our necks aren’t hurting too bad. it’s supposed to get warm this weekend, so we’re going to head down to the lake and take the pedal boats out! i’ve finally convinced the boy it will be fun. hope you have a great weekend!
01. i’ve seen cheesy specialty keys i’ve wanted in hardware store, but i’ve never seen ones this rad.
02. i am SO getting this little rug for the bathroom.
03. a lovely little ceramic cup i want ten of.
04. ever seen france, i’ve been wanting a pair of these. almost every woman i saw was wearing them.
05. i saw this jungalow hanging planter yesterday at west elm (the local section) and it’s amazing.
06. this claire vivier tote would be the perfect work bag.
such chic diy faux labradorite earrings (via fall for diy)
how stoked would you be to receive an adorable little bouquet like this (via paper & stitch)
shibori dyed easter eggs – maybe the best ever. (via tuts+)
my friend called the other day to say watch louis ck’s monologue on snl immediately. so i did. now i’m sharing it with you. (via digg)
would you be terrified if a turkey was chasing you? this woman is. so much. (via youtube / image via)
salted. chocolate. diablo. cookie. ice cream. sandwiches. ridic. (via the artful desperado)
you always looking for a way to store your jewelry that isn’t wretched? then you can check out this diy copper + rope wall hanging i made for design*sponge. you could also use it for keys and outgoing mail at your front door — possibilities are just endless i tell you, endless!
for more photos and the full tutorial - visit design*sponge.