a few of you have asked to see more of our wedding, well — i still can’t show you yet because i’m excited to say that it’ll be featured on my favorite wedding blog fairly soon! but for now, you’ve also asked to see our wedding invites / aka the bane of our existence / aka one of the best things g and i have ever done together.
we decided to design our invites to be like a brochure, we wanted to try to convey the palm springs vacation feel to them (to really entice people to come). we stuck with same kind of vibe as our save the dates, but while they go together, they’re pretty different.
it was a little difficult + a lot tedious to design the accordion layout, because we had to figure out what configuration worked best, which we changed multiple times. when our guests received them, they’d see the front, which was essentially the “invitation”. they then would open to reveal all of the info laid out, as well as a map gideon illustrated on the back of palm springs. we included our RSVP postcard within the brochure, so we had that perforated for easy removal, but made sure the invite had three additional panels to keep it still pretty once they’d RSVP’d. we were really into the idea of postcards for the RSVPs because it’s so much easier to just drop ’em in the mail and we saved on additional envelopes. we went with smartpress for printing the invites, and they were super helpful every time i called to ask mundane questions about how to best design the layouts. (they were also super affordable)
because our wedding was pretty laid back, we made sure to use wording that still sounded like us. the most formal thing we did was including my parents name on the front, but we still made sure to keep that wording casual (by skipping their last names). i hand wrote the words and gid digitally painted the watercolor background. we also assembly-lined our envelopes with a marker that basically matched the invites. gid did the guests names and i did the addresses. that took forever.
i am so happy with how the invites turned out, it was a total labor of love + it was so fun for the two of us to collaborate on them together.
as i said two weeks ago – i love this super easy mussels recipe. now i realized i meant to post this BEFORE valentines day and time got away from me and i’m super sorry ok? but it’s ok because mussels are easy enough, you can make them WHENEVER. like for real — it takes 20 minutes and you got yourself a delish + romantic dinner.
adapted from potluck at midnight farm *, serves 2
( * a really good martha’s vineyard cookbook that i sadly don’t see for sale online )
1 LB MUSSELS (TRY TO BUY THEM DEBEARDED)
1 CUP WHITE WINE
1/4 CUP CHOPPED TOMATOES
1/4 CUP CHOPPED SHALLOTS
3/8 CUP COARSELY CHOPPED CILANTRO
1 TSP HOT SAUCE
1/4 CUP HEAVY CREAM
2 TB UNSALTED BUTTER
FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER
1 LOAF CRUSTY BREAD
01. scrub + debeard your mussels if necessary.
02. combine the wine, tomatoes, shallots, half of the cilantro, the hot sauce, and heavy cream in a large pot. bring the ingredients to a boil. cook and stir for 2 minutes.
03. add the mussels and turn the heat down to a simmer. cover the pot and cook for 5 – 10 minutes, until all the mussels have opened. remove the mussels from the pot with a slotted spoon.
04. simmer down the cooking liquid until it’s reduced by about a cup, this takes another 5 – 10 minutes. add the butter, stirring gently. turn off the heat and add pepper.
05. pour the sauce over the mussels, sprinkle with remaining cilantro and serve asap.
ps. DO not forget the bread. you might wanna try letting an extra piece soak in the sauce while you eat the other bread because it’s sooooo good all soaked up in the sauce.
PHOTOS BY LILY GLASS
lately i am obsessed with all things ceramic and enamelware, but i really don’t have any money to spend on this love of mine. so while i wanted to incorporate that look onto my pretty new-ish coffee table, duh i decided to DIY it.
- some plain candles (mine were $2 at ikea)
- white spray paint
- white acrylic paint
- black acrylic paint
- a tiny brush
01. spray paint your candles upside down and let dry outside for at least 5 hours.
02. once your candles are dry and you peel them off the work surface, you’ll notice the top rim probably needs a little finesse. i lightly sanded my down and carefully painted with the white acrylic paint.
03. if you have a reference to use (like my enamelware camping mug), all the better. if you don’t, use mine or an image on google. the trick is to go VERY slowly and not to over think it. my first candle was pretty bad because i was completely over thinking it. so here’s my trick : relax and do a little at a time. so do tiny dots and spread them all over, don’t do one area at a time. then add medium sized dots. then add blotches to make it a little more natural rather than large dots, which end up looking kind of intentional. if it helps, do a little on one side, then turn it and do a little on the other side of the candle, then go back and forth. as long as you go at a slow relaxed pace, it won’t look too deliberate.
+ if you’re wondering if flammable spray paint and candles shouldn’t mix, it seems to be ok because the spray paint is only on the outside of the glass which doesn’t touch the flame whatsoever. but if my candles spontaneously combust, i’ll be sure to let you know.
you might be asking yourself why i didn’t use white wax candles, and that’s because i usually hate the scent of inexpensive white candles. like no thanks, i don’t want a baby powder or vanilla buttercream scent in my house. but maybe i’m just picky.
but i’m really loving the way these candles bring a little pattern to my coffee table – let me know if you try it!
hosting an oscar party? we decided to come up with a very festive menu to serve — best picture nominee themed dishes!
THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING : the theory of everything bagel crackers
THE IMITATION GAME : the imitation crab dip (you can use real crab, but for the first time ever, say it’s imitation) (alt : crab ragoon, crab salad, california rolls)
AMERICAN SNIPER : american sliders
WHIPLASH : whiplashed sweet potatoes
BIRDMAN : buffalo birdwings (alt : you could also just pick up KFC)
THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL : courtesan au chocolat (alt: just buy some french pastries)
SELMA : i have a dreamsicles
BOYHOOD : boyhoodsen berry spritzers (sub the blackberry for boysenberry) (alt : boysenberry crumble)
+ ps. don’t forget to download the printable ballots!
i’m pretty excited that we have a long weekend + valentines day in one. gid and i are making plans for going out during the daytime, and then as i said — we’re going to stay in and cook ourselves dinner. so i made a mix for us to listen to. but also for you.
btw… track #1 was our processional song at the wedding (so now i can’t listen to it without getting super sappy)
HEART BALLOONS VIA
when i realized yesterday that valentines was on saturday and it was tuesday and i hadn’t gotten gid anything yet – i decided it wasn’t too late. so i wanted to share my five go-to ideas that work every time if you still need a little help.
01. when in doubt, give him a book. and get him a pretty coffee table book so it doubles as a gift for you.
02. most guys will not get designer grooming products for themselves. this is your job.
03. seriously though. i do not know a guy that doesn’t want more socks.
04. also, all the guys i know love candy + chocolate. um duh.
05. lastly, dudes seem to love brown liquor. why, i have no idea.
it’s almost time for the oscars, you guys! i’m actually more excited than usual, because this year — I SAW LIKE MOST OF THE MOVIES. that’s right, i totally did. i can’t tell you how.
the grand budapest hotel, birdman, nightcrawler + guardians of the galaxy
inherent vice (snooze), foxcatcher (snooooze), american sniper (ok, kinda meh)
I STILL WANT TO SEE:
whiplash (SO BADLY), selma, the theory of everything (although i’ve heard VERY mixed things)
I STILL DON’T WANT TO SEE:
imitation game (meh), instellar (like no not whatsoever, unless you liked it?)
ok so maybe i didn’t see that many, but it felt like i saw a bunch more than usual.
also – remember last year when i said i was the best all the time in the oscar pool? well that same last year, gideon demolished everyone. he got ONE WRONG. ONE WRONG!
oh and last also – don’t judge me on my movie stubs. i see a lot of comedies and a lot of horror movies in the theatre. and yes, i saw stepford wives in the theatre for some reason. but i’ve been collecting my movie stubs since i was a teenager and it’s really fun to look at them every once in a while and remember how i saw the royal tenenbaums — alone, 6 times, at the same theatre. (it was when i first moved to LA at 16 and i didn’t have friends or a car yet, ok?!)
after a LOT of hard work and time spent — we have given blogzilla studio a HUGE facelift. you can now buy themes directly through our website and we’ve hopefully made it much cleaner and more streamlined process for our customers. we now have a ton more info + answers on the site for customers with questions! AND – we have a dope new logo by jay adores – which we are stoked on. go check it out!
we’re also launch a brand new theme today, because we’re totally in “new” mood. and now for the fun part — to celebrate the launch of the brand new blogzilla studio, i’m giving away a free theme of your choice! all you have to do is check out the site and comment here with the theme you love most.